It’s hard to lose weight when your entire kitchen is at your disposal 24 hours a day, here are a few tips that have helped me drop 150 lbs in under a year as a stay at home Mom.
1. Plan out your meals, if you know you are having a big steak dinner tonight plan out your lunch and breakfast accordingly. Figure out haw many calories you will have for dinner subtract from your goal calorie intake (add a zero to your goal weight, if you want to be 120 lbs eat only 1200 calories a day) and then divide by two that is how much you should have for breakfast and lunch.
2. Drink only water during the day, drink 2 large glasses with breakfast, lunch and dinner at the minimum and more if you are thirsty or hungry. They will fill you up and you won’t eat so much. Save that glass of wine for dinner, or better when the kids have gone to bed at night.
3. Lead by example, are you frustrated that you kids won’t eat veggies? Well if they see food on your plate they will want it…. right? Your behavior right now will dictate how your child will eat for the rest of their lives so show them now how to stay lean and healthy by eating well in front of them. If YOU are picky about food THEY will be too.
4. Say NO to diets! Diets are fads, they are marketing BS and you are smarter than that! Just eat real healthy food and count your calories and water intake. I like to keep a sheet of paper on my fridge, I tally my glasses of water and write down the calories. I can’t open the fridge without seeing it and half the time it stops me from boredom eating.
5. Avoid boredom eating, I am not a snacker, but most people are if you must snack choose veggies and lean protein. Some homemade dip and veggies are a great choice, or some low-fat cheese and an apple. Before you have that snack have a BIG glass of water, if you are still hungry after 5 minutes then have your snack.
6. Move your body, even if you are stuck in the house and can’t make it out to the gym or the park you can still burn some calories. I like to have “dance breaks” if my little girl and I are watching a Disney movie and a song comes on (which is about 5 times a movie) I yell out “dance break” we both jump up and dance together for the entire song. It will not only teach your kids to stay active but you will burn off some calories too.
7. Cook for yourself, you are in a unique position where you can cook for yourself everyday, breakfast, lunch and dinner. Even if your kids are still on baby food start cooking breakfast and lunch for yourself. If you enjoy cooking, you will love this idea, if you are new to cooking look at it is practice. This will help you from grabbing a frozen meal full of chemicals, sodium and preservatives or skipping lunch and overeating at dinner. I make a big batch of something delicious at the beginning of the week and it feeds me for days. Check out my favorite lunches.
It’s not just about you if you are a Stay at Home Mom, your kids will see your behavior and imitate it. How would you feel if a Day Care provider was smoking a cigarette in front of your child? Well, eating an entire bag of chips or a candy bar in front of them is just as bad, maybe worse because there is no age requirement on food. Lead by example!
One more thing, don’t obsess about your weight in front of your kids, or at all for the matter! I grew up with a young girl who had an eating disorder from the age of 6 until now. Her Mom would obsess about her own weight all the time, saying she felt fat, that she wanted to lose weight. If you beat yourself up your kids will do the same to themselves. You had a child, your body is strong and sexy! You are a Warrior Mommy and you should feel proud of yourself, stretch marks and all!