This recipe is from my monthly column at North County LIFE, a local newspaper. I had requests to share it here, what a wonderful idea! Here for all of you is my newest recipe.
Veggie Packed Stuffing
The key here is this dish is 50% bread and 50% fruits and vegetables, cutting the calories and adding loads of vitamins and fiber. This is a great way to make any meal a skinny one.
What you will need to make my Veggie Packed Stuffing-
10 Cups of Whole Wheat Bread cubed
2 cups Butternut Squash chopped
2 cups Onions chopped
3 cups Celery chopped
1 tbsp. chopped fresh Thyme
2 tbsps. chopped fresh Sage
3 cups Apples chopped
2 Chicken and Apple Sausages cooked and crumbled
¼ cup fresh chopped Parsley
3 cups Chicken Broth
1 cup Dried Cranberries
3 tbsps. Olive Oil
2 tbsps. Butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
-If your bread is not already stale, spread it onto 2 cookies sheets and place in an oven at 300 for 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a casserole dish spread out the Butternut Squash, toss with one tbsp of olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 for 35 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsps. oil in a sauce pot on medium heat, add in the chopped onions, celery, thyme and sage. Cook until the veggies are tender, about 10 minutes. Add in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter in a skillet on medium heat then toss in the chopped apples, sauté until tender about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs and parsley together then add in the bread, the squash, the celery and onion mixture, apples, chicken sausage, dried cranberries and salt and pepper to taste. Move mixture to a large buttered casserole dish. Top the stuffing with one tbsp. of butter, crumble small specks of it all over the top to help it crisp up then cover with foil.
- Place in the oven at 375 and bake for 25 minutes, remove foil and bake for another 20 minutes, or remove from oven and bring with you and place in oven for 20 minutes at holiday gathering.
Makes about 15 servings, each serving is about 1/2 cup:
Hungry for more Skinny Recipes? Check out my website for Skinny Recipes and Weight Loss Tips:
To contact me or be part of the weekly weight loss competition like us on Facebook:
***** Please note, it is difficult to respond to questions in the comment area, please contact me at https://www.facebook.com/loseweightbyeating with any questions.*******